We have recognized expertise
Wendel’s know-how consists in selecting leading companies, both listed and unlisted, making a long-term investment and helping to define ambitious strategies, while implementing a clear, explicit shareholder approach, together with the management. To successfully execute its long-term investment strategy, Wendel has several strengths: a stable family shareholder base, permanent capital and a robust balance sheet, and a portfolio of companies that lends the Group a very broad geographical and sectoral view. Since 1977, Wendel’s international investment teams, with their complementary profiles and expertise, have invested in a great number of successful companies, including Capgemini, bioMérieux, Reynolds, Stallergenes, Wheelabrator, Valeo, Afflelou, Editis, Legrand, Deutsch and Allied Universal.
Committed partnering with entrepreneurial teams
Wendel’s investment and sustainable development strategy is based on close interaction with the managers of the companies it invests in. This partnership is central to the process by which value is created. Wendel provides constant and active support, shares risks and contributes its experience and financial, technical and communications expertise. In the same vein, Wendel can reinvest and support companies when the economic and financial conditions or the Company’s business development projects demand it.
Wendel is represented in the Boards of Directors and key committees – audit, governance, sustainable development and strategy – of its investments, in proportion to its stake. It can therefore take part in the most important decisions made by each company without ever taking the place of its management.
The long-term shareholder's charter
To be a long-term investor, a shareholder must make a commitment that engenders trust and always be attentive to innovation, sustainable development and promising diversification activities. Wendel has created a charter that includes five overarching principles expressing this commitment:
- Active involvement in designing and implementing company strategies through our participation on the boards of directors and key committees of the companies in which we have invested;
- Firm, long-term commitments to our partner companies by supporting their development, fostering their exposure to strong-growth regions, and allocating time and resources to the innovation cycle;
- Constructive, transparent and stimulating dialogue with management while constantly questioning ingrained habits and rethinking models against the yardstick of global best practices;
- Everyday loyalty through effective relationships built on trust that recognize the respective roles of shareholders and managers;
- A guarantee of shareholder stability and the common cause of a long-term partner who doesn’t hesitate to make a financial commitment during tough times, where justified.